- Absolutely essential.
- A battery operated smoke detector should be fitted to every floor of the house.
- Make sure that you regularly clean the detector and test the battery, replacing when necessary.
- You can buy smoke alarms in DIY stores and some supermarkets and they are easy to fit.
- Not just for open fires – use one for your gas fire and any radiators or storage heaters where little hands could get burnt.
- A metal mesh guard to keep baby away from the fire and any spitting embers away from baby.
- Make sure that the fire guard is firmly fixed to the wall and cannot be moved from the fire.
- Be aware that the guard itself will get warm or even hot in use and you still need to watch baby carefully.
- As an additional note – never hang washing on a fire guard to dry. However desperate you are for a clean dry babygrow, this is a fire hazard!